If you want to keep your truck aluminum tool box in good shape for a long time, you need to clean it regularly. Here you may ask, “ how to clean an Aluminum tool box?”
The weather, roads, and the things you put in your aluminum toolboxes can make them very dirty. So, you must know how to clean them properly.
This article will answer your question with a detailed guide to cleaning the aluminum toolbox.
How To Clean Aluminum Tool Box?
The Right cleaning procedure is the most important consideration in cleaning your aluminum toolbox. Also, you’ll need to get the right tools and cleaning solutions.
Below we have discussed the effective process of cleaning for your convenience.
Things you need
- Used clothes
- Latex Gloves
- Commercial Aluminum cleaner
- Brightener for aluminum or cleaner for wheels
- A buffing wheel made of microfiber cotton or wool with an adapter
- A polish or rouge made of aluminum
Step 1: Take your toolbox off and empty it.
Put on gloves and old work clothes before you start, because this can get messier than you might think.
If you can, take your toolbox out of your truck before you do anything else. This will just make your job a lot easier, since cleaning these can be a bit of work.
This also gives you a chance to clean the inside and get rid of the water when you’re done. After you get it off, just wash it normally with soap and water to get rid of any loose dirt and dust.
Step 2: Use a wheel cleaner with acid.
One tip is to first use a more acidic chemical like a wheel cleaner to break up dirt and grime that is stuck on, and then use a more basic chemical like a commercial cleaner to clean the rest of the car.
If you use these two cleaners back-to-back, you can get your aluminum back to the way it looked before it was polished.
This change from acidic to basic pH helps the aluminum get ready for the polishing step.
You might also want to get an aluminum brightener. It is pretty acidic and is made to eat away at dirt and grime in exactly this way.
Remember that cleaning aluminum won’t make it shine or look shiny again until the polishing process starts. After you use your cleaners, just wipe everything down with a microfiber towel and move on to step 3.
Step 3: Use a buffing wheel to add polish.
For this step, you can either use a strip of wool carpet to apply polish by hand but we would suggest using a polisher or sander with a wool or cotton buffing wheel.
Wool pads polish cloudy headlights better than foam or microfiber pads. Microfiber pads tend to fall apart quickly, especially when used with metal.
Once you have your wool pad and device, you will want to turn the pad sideways to really clean the grooves of the diamond plate. You can use a paintbrush to put it right on the surface.
A rouge polishing or cutting block is another option that works well if you have a polisher. It works well on aluminum and is used to polish jewelry.
Step 4: Wipe the surface and spray it with an all-purpose or commercial cleaner.
It’s normal for your toolbox to have a lot of black or gray smudges on the outside after you polish it. Use a microfiber towel and a multipurpose cleaner or soap and water.
When polishing, this can be a messy job, so protect your clothes and be aware of your surroundings.
Three Other Ways To Clean Your Aluminum Toolbox
Cleaning with Dishwashing Soap
- Get a pail and fill it up with some piping hot water. Combine your water with a dishwashing liquid soap that has a reputation for cutting through grease.
- Mix the liquid soap into the water as it is being stirred. Simply soaking your aluminum toolbox in water will do the trick.
- Scrub the area using a brush that has gentle bristles made of nylon and then dip the brush into soapy water.
- You may get rid of the filth that is on the surface of your metal tool boxes by scrubbing them. Rinse with water until there is no trace of soap remaining. To dry the plating, you can use a chamois cloth or a rag made of microfiber.
Cleaning with Vinegar
- Spray your aluminum tool box with white vinegar that you’ve put in a bottle designed for that purpose.
- To prevent the white vinegar from becoming dry, do not spray the entire surface but rather work your way across it section by section.
- Scrub the surface of the aluminum toolbox with a soft bristle nylon scrub brush that has been dipped in white vinegar.
- You can even use a toothbrush to access those regions that are difficult to reach.
- Wax should be applied on metal using a gentle rag; after it has dried, the surface should be buffed to a high sheen.
Cleaning with Coca-Cola
- Pour the contents of a can of cola onto the lid of your aluminum tool box, and then use a paper towel to spread the cola around so that it is uniformly distributed. Wait five minutes.
- Use a scrub brush with a firm bristle to clean the aluminum tool box. You are going to notice that the dirt will fall off very immediately.
- Make sure that there is no trace of cola on any part of your aluminum tool boxes by giving them a thorough washing in a lot of fresh water. Paper towels, a clean cotton rag, or just letting things air dry are all acceptable methods for drying something.
- Now that you have your gleaming aluminum tool box in your possession.
FAQs About Cleaning Your Aluminum Tool Box
What Is The Difference Between Cleaning And Polishing My Aluminum Tool Box?
Cleaning and polishing are two different steps. Depending on how thorough you want to be, cleaning can take a while, but polishing is what gives aluminum its mirror-like finish.
How Much Time Does It Take To Clean An Aluminum Toolbox?
Overall, if you have the right tools, this whole process shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes to an hour.
Is It Good To Clean My Aluminum Toolbox With Plentiful Water?
No. Be careful not to use too much water when you wash your toolbox. If you fill your aluminum toolbox with water or have a lot of water moving around in it, and roll it around on its side, you can make dents the size of softballs.
Hopefully, now you know how to clean the aluminum tool box. Cleaning it is an easy and interesting task if you know the correct process.
Follow the method we have discussed to get an ultimate cleaning. Also, make sure you don’t wait too long to clean it because if you do, it will take you more time and effort to clean it later.