Shrinking of the Tonneau cover over time is one of the most common issues. That’s why people ask, “ how to stretch a Tonneau cover?”
Using a properly sized Tonneau cover is the precondition for the protection of your vehicle. So, you must know how to stretch a Tonneau cover in need.
This article will answer this question with the proper method of stretching your Tonneau cover. Continue reading till the end.
How To Stretch A Tonneau Cover?
You can stretch your Tonneau cover by two methods. The first method is stretching the cover naturally by your hand. And the second one is stretching them with the help of a machine.
We will discuss both of the methods below. Choose your one according to your convenience
Stretching the Tonneau cover by hand
You can keep stretching it by hand a shot if you have a Tonneau cover that has become too constrictive to use. The technique is not too difficult, but it will require some time and patience on your part.
You’ll need to begin at one part of your Tonneau cover and make your way all the way around the cover. Make the cover as stretched as possible by gently pulling and stretching it with your hands.
After you have completed the circumference of the object, give the cover one last pull to ensure that it is secure. You may have to repeat this process several times before the cover is properly stretched out.
In order to get it done in the most effective manner, follow the procedures that are described below.
- Clean the truck bed cover by wiping it down with a piece of clean cloth to remove any dust or other particles that may be on it.
- After that, spray it with water in a light mist or, as an alternative, rub it with a good vinyl shiner so that the material can become more pliable.
- Make sure that the water or the cleaner, whichever one you choose to use, covers all of its surface areas in an even manner, whether you choose to use water or the cleaner.
- Lay it out in the direct sunlight and wait for the shiner oil or water to absorb into its fabric as a result of the heat.
- At last, reattach the truck cover to the truck. That sums up the entirety of the procedure nicely. You will see that the cover for the truck, which had shrunk earlier, will now be able to stretch sufficiently to fit neatly onto the truck
Stretching the Tonneau cover by machine
You can also think your Tonneau cover more comfortable to use by stretching it out with the assistance of a machine. You can make the cover fit more securely on your truck by following these simple and fast instructions. This is the procedure to follow:
1. Position the Tonneau cover so that the front of the cover is facing upward and lay it flat on the ground.
2. Place the machine on top of the cover, positioning it so that its two front corners are aligned with the cover’s two front corners.
3. Power on the device in a measured manner, and then give it about a minute to warm up. The cover needs to begin to relax and stretch out before it can be used.
4. Once the cover has been stretched to the desired length, turn off the machine and remove it from its position on top of the cover.
Verify if the improved fit of the cover can be achieved by testing it out on your truck. If this is not the case, you will need to repeat steps 2 through 4 until the fit is satisfactory.
How to know if you need to stretch your Tonneau cover?
It’s important to know how to tell if your Tonneau cover needs to be stretched if you have one. Most of the time, you’ll notice that the middle of the cover is starting to sag or that it doesn’t fit as well as it used to. If you notice any of these things, it’s time to stretch your cover.
Read also: Bakflip Mx4 Problems
Is stretching the Tonneau cover safe?
Yes, you can stretch a Tonneau cover without any problems. In fact, it might even be needed to get a good fit. Just make sure to evenly stretch the cover so it doesn’t get out of shape.
In fact, it’s often the only way to get a tight fit without wrinkles. The best way to stretch a Tonneau cover is to put it out in the sun for a few minutes to warm up the material. Then, pull on the corners and sides of the cover until it is tight.
But you should only do this if your Tonneau cover is made of a material that stretches. If your Tonneau cover is made of something that doesn’t stretch, stretching it could cause it to tear.
Read also: How To Fix Tonneau Cover Latch?
FAQs about stretching Tonneau cover
What Kind Of Tonneau Cover Can Be Stretched?
Most Tonneau covers can be stretched under the right circumstances, but soft Tonneau covers and those made of vinyl or cloth are usually easier and more ready to stretch than other types.
Because they are softer and easier to bend. On the other hand, it’s harder to stretch fiberglass and aluminum covers.
How Long Does It Take To Stretch A Tonneau Cover?
How long it takes to fully stretch a Tonneau cover depends on the type of Tonneau cover, the quality of the materials used, and how sunny or hot the day is.
Taking everything into account, though, a full stretch of a Tonneau cover can take anywhere from one to three hours.
In Which Temperature Are Tonneau Covers Most Likely To Stretch?
The fabric on a Tonneau cover needs to be adequately heated to a high temperature before it can be stretched.
Even so, care must always be taken to make sure they don’t get hurt in the process by using too much heat.
The best way to soften them is to put them out in the sun for a few minutes. So, temperatures between 30 and 40 degrees are thought to be the best range for doing that.
Read Also: 5 Common Retrax Bed Cover Problems
Hopefully, you have got your satisfactory answer to the question, “ how to stretch a Tonneau cover? You can easily make a Tonneau cover fit your truck bed with a little patience and the right tools.
Just make sure to take your time and not push too hard on the cover, or you might damage it. Once you’ve spread out the cover, it should fit snugly over your truck bed and protect your stuff from the weather.
Read also: How To Keep Dust Out Of Tonneau Cover?